Saturday, July 27, 2013

Hutch

  Hey there! I did this project awhile back but I figured Id share with ya. Its back to my dining room dilemma! I found this cabinet/hutch whatever you want to call it- at a little antique store. I wasnt crazy about the paint color or the way it was distressed, but I liked the dimensions of it. I didnt really need much for storage or anything, I just needed something with a little height to go on the wall in my dining room.
And the hardware on this thing is terrible! Im not even sure what its made of- plastic maybe? Lets just say the picture does it justice!
The black is the before...
I used this chalk paint I got at a little shop & thought Id try it out... Had to see what all the hype was about! 
Thats the color...cinco bayou moss. Its the only brand of chalk paint I had used at the time, so I really didnt know what to compare it to. It is easy to use, no sanding or priming, no voc's & all that other junk. I just brushed it on with a chip brush- which when you use a chip brush it gives some texture to your paint anyway... Then if you want it more distressed you just wipe with a damp rag in the places you wana show some scuffs...
The darker spots are where its still wet.
I let it dry for I dont know how long... I know I put the first coat on while Reese was napping, then put the clear coat on later that night when she went to bed. You dont have to wait that long- like maybe 2hours- unless you have a toddler, then you wait til their in bed. And yes, I did it right there in my dining room- its pretty thick stuff, so it wasnt messy & there is no fumes. So, after paint is done I used this stuff called "endurance finish" its something that goes along with the chalkpaint, I wont buy it again, Ill use polycrylic next time because of the cost. 
The darker is whats been "endurance finished" and the drawers are just the plain chalkpaint...
Heres a better one...
Sometime in the middle of all this I took my hardware out to the garage & gave it a good coat of oil rubbed bronze spraypaint- I dont have pics of that one.
But thats it! Pretty easy huh!?! I let it all dry & put the hardware back on
Close up to show that I didnt fully cover the black, I wanted a little character to show through...
Heres a close-up of the hardware... Much better! 
Before...
After...
Im happy with the way it turned out :) 
  
















No comments:

Post a Comment