Thursday, December 19, 2013

Toe Dilemma

   Ok so this is kinda gross what Im going to show ya (as a parent not so much, Ive seen worse) but Im writing this as a warning & it was really kinda scary! 
This is my 2 year olds toe the other day...
This picture was at the doctor on monday. She was curling her toes around because she thought I was going to touch it! 
So, lets back up a sec & Ill tell ya all about it. 
I noticed on Sunday her toe was a little red on the outside edge, I thought Oh no, she's probably getting an ingrown toenail. 
Monday morning when I was getting her dressed it was still red & there was pus, GREAT! 
So my anxiety instantly kicks in... I have 6 houses to clean in 3 days, its the week before Christmas, I need to get this taken care of before we leave to go back home, Call the doctors office, of course they cant see her today...take her to urgent care, Is it just an ingrown toenail, everybodys making me doubt myself , I feel stupid, I feel stupid canceling one of my houses for an ingrown toenail, its gotta hurt, she doesnt act like it hurts & 100 other thoughts that raced through my head!! 

So I did cancel one of my houses, & headed up to urgent care. 
By the time I had picked her up from daycare (just before 1:00) her toe was purple! Ok, now I dont feel so stupid just taking her for an ingrown toenail (cuz thats how they make ya feel ya know!) 

When we got to urgent care, I filled out about 30 minutes worth of paper work... Then they tell me its a 3 hour wait!! (Guess I shouldve asked first, live & learn)
And you know they are looking at me thinking, really, its an ingrown toenail, go home & soak it in some epsom salt... Also, let me add, she has a Christmas program at 5:15 & I really didnt want to miss it!
 So long story short... I left, found another urgent care that didnt have as long of wait, got her toe looked at. The doctor was wonderful, he said you absolutely needed to get her in here immediately, those infections spread like wildfire, especially on toes. He gave her 2 kinds of antibiotics, swabbed it for a culture & said it looked like either a staph or strep infection- YIKES!! 
How in the heck did she get that?!? He said we have those bacterias all over our body, she could've jammed in on something & that could cause the bacteria to move in. 

I felt stupid taking her to "urgent" care for a silly little ingrown toenail (so I thought) but in a 24 hour time span when her toe went from normal to purple, I knew something wasnt right. What wouldve happened if I had waited?!? Always trust your gut mamas & daddys out there!! 

I had a bad experience when Reese was 7 months old, she had a UTI, I will write about that someday, its a long story, that was very scary & I still have regrets about how I handled that. 
I knew something wasn't right, but sometimes others out there make you feel stupid or doubt yourself (Especially as a first time mom!) I try & tell myself that, but easier said than done!! 
Oh & we did make it back in time for her program... I flew home & changed her in the parking lot, but we made it! Ill post pics of that soon :) 

**UPDATE** we got the culture back & it was in fact a staph infection... Luckily the antibiotics cleared it up almost immediately**

No comments:

Post a Comment